Friday, May 24, 2013

SOMEDAY


First things first - HAPPY FRIDAY (oh my goodness how happy I am to say that!!).

But no time for dilly dallying today - let's get down to business.

I have a serious question to ask of you:

How do you stay focused and motivated for "someday" things when "now" things spring up?

To explain...

I want, more than anything (almost anything), to be a homeowner someday.

Obviously to purchase a home, one needs a down payment.  Therefore, one needs to save save save.

But how do you (yes YOU, dearest darlingest reader) stay focused on such a long-term goal when there are things here, there, and everywhere demanding financial attention?

Apartment things, fashion things, delicious food and drink things, fun outing and adventure things, adorable baby things to buy for your niece, stupid annoying things like car maintenance...

I'm pretty sure you get the point.

Future home purchase aside, I'm also going to be paying for a majority of my someday wedding.

That's not a price tag to scoff at, either.

And yet... these stupid now things tempt me so.

So, again, I ask:

How do you stay focused and motivated for "someday" things?

This lady needs your help :)

3 comments:

  1. You did such a good job saving for OTHER people's weddings, why not use the same technique? I also think it could be fun and unique to make it a goal to do a fun free (or nearly free) activity once a month! It's a special extra challenge! I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an infographic about purchasing one's first home on Pinterest the other day. Here's the original website: http://www.providentnj.com/site/personalservices/homeloan/firsttimehomebuyer/content.aspx

    You'll get there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO difficult. We have the issue all of the time, especially right now with deciding whether or not we should spend our money on travelling Europe or saving for when we get out of the military. We know what the responsible thing to do is, BUT you only live once and how often do you live in Europe? But then how can I tell my son we can't pay for his college because we wanted to travel when he was a kid? Haha. I think you just need to decide what's most important to you and remind yourself of that when tempted to buy things that you think you need, but you don't REALLY need. (you have plenty of cute clothes!)

    ReplyDelete