Friday, June 28, 2013

DON'T YOU WANT TO BE KALE?


I'm going to try something.

I might fail.

But I'm going to try anyway.

I am very passionate about, well, a lot of things... but personal health & fitness is one of them.  And I haven't really shared any of that here because, let's be honest, usually I have something I'm frustrated with that I want to rant about.

Anyway... I'm going to try and share something healthy (be it exercise or food related, or just inspirational) on Fridays.

I've started making smoothies at home and, not gonna lie, they're pretty freakin delicious.  I even got a thumbs up from D, who pretty much only eats the foods I try to stay away from (aka processed foods, fast foods, etc.).

I don't really get the whole you are what you eat, phrase (I mean, in theory I do, but it just doesn't really inspire me)... but in case it really speaks to you... don't you want to be kale?

I thought so.

In that spirit of kale-ification, go make a smoothie like this:

BERRY KALE SMOOTHIE

7oz unsweetened coconut water
1oz lemon or lime juice
nice handful of raw kale
3/4 cup frozen berries (I totally eyeball this, so that sounds about right)
maybe 2-4 ice cubes if the texture isn't jamba-y enough for you

Dump it all in a blender and blend till it's smooth.

Enjoy.

That's it.  I can hardly call it a recipe.  I just threw some stuff in my blender and it happened to be delicious.  You can mix it up (omg blender pun) with other fruits... but I recommend freezing it so it stays cold and gets the right texture.

I buy the frozen berries, coconut water, and kale (pre-washed because I'm lazy) at Trader Joe's.

Let me know if you try it.  Fair warning - I like my smoothies on the tart side.

Oh, and one more thing...

HAPPY FRIDAY!!

p.s. I really like the sentiment of the image above, but it kills me that it doesn't read, "Skinny isn't sexy.  Healthy is."  Don't let its crappy syntax distract you from the message, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment