Monday, April 1, 2013

BREAKUP LETTER



Dear Blogs,

I've been doing some thinking.  I really like reading you.  Some of you inspire me and bring out the best in me.  But I found myself too eager.  I started subscribing to too many of you and I lost myself along the way.

Some of you post content that is mindless, or simply regurgitated from other thoughtfully curated blogs.

Sometimes you made me feel bad about myself.  Like I wasn't enough.  Didn't have enough.  Didn't do enough.  Didn't incestuously link to other bloggers who have careers built upon other people wanting to live the "bloggers dream life" of... shopping, sipping expensive lattes, and instagramming along the way.  By the way, I'm pretty sure that lifestyle isn't real (not without a super rich hubby to support the hobby, at least).

Sometimes you post outfits that I honestly don't think are flattering on your lovely figure.  Sometimes you post outfits that I could never afford, but find myself pining after anyways.  Sometimes you announce that you are quitting your day job to work for yourself (kudos to you), but your business doesn't make sense to me.  Who is paying you to do that?  Oh.  Other bloggers.  That you are paying to do things for you.

What?

Because of this confusion and downward spiral, I have decided to break up with some of you.  Yes.  I've unsubscribed.

It's not you, though.  It's me.

My time is too valuable to spend reading content that I don't even like.  I still follow my favorites.  I am still inspired by lots of bloggers.  Some of them are even among the ranks of those who make a living blogging.

But they do a good job.

And they feed my spirit and encourage me to be a better person.

I am sure you'll be fine.  You have lots of other readers.  We just aren't a good fit.

I wish you the best.

- Alicia

p.s. I promise I've never actually broken up with someone in a letter.  Have you? ;)

p.p.s. I know it's April Fools' Day, but I'm not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment