Thursday, April 4, 2013

LIES


*before you get too excited and start asking me for the links to the above sales, read the post title..*

Dear friends -

I love to shop.

Too much.

It is a sickness.  An addiction.  A very dangerous slippery slope.

And I try to be "good".  Sometimes I am.  Sometimes I'm not.  And sometimes I pay for my mistakes.  Literally.  With interest.

When I get into these bad cyclical ruts, I get frustrated with myself.

Don't get me wrong - I take full responsibility for my actions.

However, I am all-too-familiar with what I like to call "shopper's logic" that retailers encourage.  They practically shove it down our throats.  It goes something like this:

"Oooooh these are buy one get one half off.  I really like this one, 
and I don't really like this one BUT IT'S ON SALE... so I should get both...!!"

Lies.

Let's "do some simple addition" like our buddy Macklemore:

One shirt = $50.  But you love it, so we'll just go with that being a good deal for now.

Second shirt = $50 @ 50% off = $25.  That is totally half priced!!!!!

But you only kind of like it.  Is buying a shirt you don't really like worth $25?

Because now you're spending $75, plus tax, instead of just $50.  You're spending 50% more than you would just buying the item you actually like on something you don't really like.

So, by all means, enjoy the spring and summer sales.  Shop to your little heart's (or your littler budget's) content.  But just know that the retailers are lying to you.

You work hard for the money, so you better spend it right.

Right?

Right.

Love,
Broke Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment